Thursday, November 22, 2012

Foundation Day! A Make-Up Review on- Clinique, MUFE Mat Velvet +, Revlon Colorstay, Missha BB Cream, and MAC Studiofix

I have been loving makeup lately and have been lured into watching and reading different reviews and makeup techniques just to find the best suitable makeup wear for me and my super oily skin. =P Every make up starts with a good primer and a foundation (at least for me). So I was in the look-out for the best foundation there is and I’d like to give you a review of the 5 make-up foundation that I have today:




1. CLINIQUE Perfectly Real MakeUp (64) Crème Beige (G): I went to Sephora at Ion Orchard and have asked them for a foundation that will mattify my oily skin. I guess my mistake was I didn’t exaggerate the word “oily” to “super oily” so they gave me Clinique Perfectly Real Make up. For me, this foundation has a light coverage but is reliable until 4-5 hours for a super oily face I have. That for me is not bad already. Have I said that I blot almost every 2 hours? And since Clinique sits on my face for 4-5 hours, then this is somehow good already. Please see the first swatch from the left. I believe I bought this product to close to SGD50 for a  30ml package so it is a bit price-y for a light coverage foundation.

MITCHIKO’S RATING:

Coverage: 3/5
Long lasting: 3/5
Mattifying effect: 3.5/5
Price: 3/5
Over-all Rating: 3.12/5

2. MAKE UP FOREVER PROFESSIONAL MAT VELVET +: It says here that MUFE Mat Velvet is Oil-Free and Water resistant which I agree. This foundation is a bomb. It has full-coverage that really hides the imperfections in your face. Some reviews said that they’re like wearing a mask on their face since the consistency is really thick. For me, it is really bearable and wearable since it mattifies your face up to 5 hours, blot and it’ll still be there. It also doesn’t make me look cake-y. It doesn’t clog the pores as long as you use make-up remover. As for me I use Nik’s Orange Make UP remover which I will be reviewing later on. It is also long-lasting for me until 8 hours and I use this whenever I have client meetings or gala. The only down-side of this foundation aside from the cost (which is really expensive, I guess more than SGD50 for a 30ml package), I notice that it is super mattifying taking out the natural glow in my face. They said that I can use highlighter to do that anyway, but thing is, when I started to produce oil, it oxidizes so much and it makes my face darker than usual. I don’t know if it’s just the color since Sephora ION gave me the lightest possible for my color already. I even chose this over another (a bit darker) so I don’t know what’s causing the dark color still. Nonetheless, it is quite acceptable as long as I blot and retouch immediately once it’s looking oily.

MITCHIKO’S RATING:

Coverage: 5/5
Long lasting: 4/5
Mattifying effect: 4/5
Price: 3/5
Over-all Rating: 4/5



3. REVLON COLORSTAY (180) Sand Beige: This drugstore foundation garnered very good reviews for Oily/Combination skin so I decided to give it a try. The scent is really nice and just like MUFE, it dries very quick on your skin so you have to immediately blend it all over your face. I will categorize its coverage to medium-high since unlike MUFE, which has thick consistency, Revlon Colorstay is a bit lighter than MUFE but thicker than Clinique. It doesn’t really mattify your face just like MUFE, but it reduces the oil. Having an everyday summer here in SG and in the country I came from, I notice that in pictures, I can still see the shiny look. The good thing about this though is the price- as it is a drugstore make up, I only spent half of what I spent in buying the first 2. It is priced at SGD29-SGD30 at Guardian or Watson’s. Another good thing is its reliability as it stays on your face for 8-hours. It claims that it can stay on your face for 24 hours. But I for a super oily face like mine, I doubt that it can. 8 hours is reasonable for me to gauge since I just blot and I don’t need to retouch it with powder anymore since the foundation is still on my face. So this becomes one of my everyday make up.

MITCHIKO’S RATING:

Coverage: 3.5/5
Long lasting: 4/5
Mattifying effect: 3.5/5
Price: 4/5
Over-all Rating: 3.75/5

4. MISSHA M PERFECT COVER BB CREAM No. 23: It claims to offer novel skincare concept with BB cream, which lightens skin tone by healing visible wrinkles and blemishes with excellent skin-cover ability, and prevents skin-aging through effective whitening and anti-wrinkle properties (as per the exact wordings from Missha’s packaging).

I’ve been using Missha for 2 weeks now and I can say that it’s really good for the skin. It truly lightens skin tone, what’s even best is it has SPF 42 PA++ that protects your skin against harmful UV rays. I even use this as a sunscreen when I went to Boracay just this month and it gives me a good coverage, protection, and of course great pictures. =) At first I was scared to use BB cream since I read that BB cream is not a friend to oily skin. But I guess, I kept numb on its ineffective oil-control that it never claimed anyway, and I focused on the other benefits it offer like sun protectant, lightens scars and skintone, and the coverage.. It’s one of the best coverage I’ve seen in BB creams. What’s even good about it is it stays on your face for up to 5 hours. Again, for a super oily face like me, this is again considered fantastic! It makes my face looks healthy, glowing, and though oil-attack still peeps in, I just have to blot and it still keeps my face radiant-looking. It retails for SGD30-SGD40 at Missha store in AMK Hub B2.

MITCHIKO’S RATING:

Coverage: 3.5/5
Long lasting: 3.5/5
Mattifying effect: 3/5
Price: 4/5
Over-all Rating: 3.5/5

5. MAC STUDIO FIX Foundation NC40: Because I read a lot and they said that liquid foundations won’t work for oily skin like me, I decided to try the MAC Studio Fix Foundation that everyone is talking about. This is a light coverage foundation that if you have to conceal some imperfections, this foundation is not the most suitable choice for this job. I tried it before with a concealer and it somehow sit on my face for 2-3 hours. It mattifies my face on the first 30 minutes-45 minutes and it produces oil after that when I blot, it automatically alerts me to immediately retouch since both the foundation and the concealer are gone. I really wouldn’t recommend this product for super oily skin-type like mine. I bought it for more than SGD50 in Sephora ION so it is really price-y. It also look cake-y on my skin. It cannot be a face powder for me since it’s too cake-y and it cannot be a foundation for me since it’s too light. =(

MITCHIKO’S RATING:

Coverage: 3/5
Long lasting: 2/5
Mattifying effect: 2.5/5
Price: 3/5
Over-all Rating: 2.625/5

So here is my personal review of these products. Hope this helps super oily-skin people in choosing their foundations well. Swatches of these are below. Good luck ladies! 


(From L-R: Clinique Perfectly Real Make Up, MUFE Mat Velvet +, Revlon Colorstay, Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream)

No comments: