Thursday, November 22, 2012

Friends with BENEFIT: A review of Porefessional, Bella Bamba, Hoola, Booing, That Gal, Stay Don't Stray, Sun Beam, and Browzings


I said I was so into make-up these past few months and it started when I went to Sephora and stayed near benefit to get my brows done. In all fairness, I love how the lady waxed my brows. It was very clean and not-so-painful. She did it fast but she was so precise. After doing my brows, she offered me some other items that she said is BENEFIT’s top-rated products.. and because she did well with my brows, I refused to say No to her in whatever she offered me. =P So I gave in and bought a few of their products.

Benefit Cosmetics is based in San Francisco and was founded by twins Jean and Jane Ford in 1976 as per my source Wikipedia. It was also mentioned that Benefit was initially for quick-fix makeup dilemmas and has soon branched out into different units that includes the “brow bars” world-wide. What surprised me is- Benefit is now a subsidiary of LVMH (a conglomerate for the luxurious brand and my favorite brand Louis Vuitton).

I find their packaging really quirky and cute and it was love at first sight when I encountered their products. Though it is a bit price-y, I stayed on track as I’d love to try their make-up line. After months and month of usage, I’d like to give you a fair review of all the benefit products I’ve used and hope this will help you save and splurge on the right products 


1. THE POREFESSIONAL: It claims to be a PRO Balm that minimizes the appearance of pores. It claims to be lightweight, oil-free, translucent, and silky. I bought the packaging with 22ml at Sephora ION for almost SGD40 dollars if I’m not wrong. Though price-y, I’d say that it is really worth the rave! This is the bomb.com! It really lived up to its promise “Now you see it, now you don’t” (referring to the pores). It is so true! Super oily skins, like me, has enlarged pores that are very visible. Because concealers and foundations cannot cover-up the large pores on my face, I decided to take on a PRO. And there I fell in love with the Porefessional. This product is one item I cannot live without. It will really make your face fresh and vibrant. Though translucent, I noticed that it has very little shimmer that is not-at-all oily that makes the face radiant. This is one of the best products that I believe Benefit has come up with. This is also my favorite product and I highly recommend the POREFESSIONAL to all the girls out there. =)

MITCHIKO’S VERDICT:





2. BELLA BAMBA:  Packaging claims that Bella Bamba is the triple dimension of pink. It says, it is brightening, sculpting, and defining. The directions encouraged us to sweep on the apples of our cheeks and dot at the hairline for a total thrill of dimensional color. Once again, Benefit created a revolutionary blush with Bella Bamba! This is so pigmented so the investment of almost SGD40-SGD45 for an 8.0 g is a money-well spent. The packaging of almost all Benefit’s blushes contain small but good quality of brushes that works well with their products. A little sweep using their brush can already cover both sides of your cheeks. You should control the amount as said because I warn you, if you’re not planning to wear nude lipsticks, then Bella Bamba can make your face so-pink that can make your red and pink lipsticks look very funny. This is another favorite product of mine although I am not really too dependent on it at all.



MITCHIKO’S VERDICT:





3. HOOLA BRONZER: Direction says- Lightly brush this soft bronzing powder across cheekbones and forehead and anywhere you’d love to look tan. If there’s again another product that I cannot live without for now, that is my Hoola Bronzer. This Benefit product sculpts really well. It is 2-3 shades darker than my skin tone so I carefully use it to contour my cheekbones and hides unwanted fats on my face. ;P It is really good in pictures and it makes your face look slimmer. It is as pricey as the Bella Bamba. It also has the tiny brush inside its package so it is very handy. It is a matte bronzer so it doesn’t make your face look shiny, specially for oily face such as mine, I do not prefer anything that will give me the shiny effect.

MITCHIKO’S VERDICT:





4. BROWZINGS: This product changes the way I look in pictures, really.. I have been using pencil liners before for my brows and since I am not good in drawing shapes, it really doesn't achieve the effect that I want my brows to look like. Browzings made it possible, especially after the brow wax. The palette includes 2 shades in it- the darker color is creamy while the lighter one is powdery. It also has 2 tiny brushes- the other one is an angled brush and the other one is a small flat brush. The creamy side helps you to achieve the brow shape you like by sweeping the angled brush on it and using the entire side of the angled brush to create the illusion of arched browse. Don’t worry if it the color didn’t reach the end of the browse since the 2nd shade and the 2nd brush will do its work. The powdery part is meant to fill-in the browse. After shaping it, you need to fill in the gaps along the brow hairs and you can use the tip of the flat brush to complete the look. For me, this is one product that I will continue to buy. Again, the price is about SGD40 but for me it’s worth it. It is long lasting even when I used it on the beach. It doesn’t smudge but I have to admit, you have to retouch the browse at least once/twice for the entire 10 hours for again--- super oily skin like me.



MITCHIKO’S VERDICT:





5. BOIING CONCELER No. 2: It claims to be industrial-strength concealer which I agree. It has full coverage and it blends well with my skin. The only downside of this concealer is the reliability. It doesn’t stay so long in my super oily skin and I need to retouch the concealer at least 3x a day. It is not so handy as since you have to open it up like opening a bottle of pickles (I was comparing it from my previous body shop pencil concealer where I only need to open it and a single hand can already operate). They said that Benefit also has a different concealer line which is more handy. My fear is, will it have the same industrial strength as Boiing does? For now, I plan to stick with this before I try the other Benefit concealer line. Though I am leaning towards going back to my Body shop concealer 60% of the time. Let’s see..

MITCHIKO’S VERDICT:






6. THAT GAL Brightening Face Primer: I got a sample of this face primer so I got excited in trying it. It has a bubble-gum pink color in it though it does not make your face look pink. I agree that it really brightens your face but again- - for super oily face like me, this product lost its magic. It doesn’t stay as expected and it doesn’t control oil. It makes your face bright for an hour and gone after that. It also doesn’t blend well with my foundation so I really don’t notice that this primer is on my face. I don’t recommend this primer for super oily-type girls out there. Might as well invest on a primer that will suck up the oil in your face to make your cents worth it.



MITCHIKO’S VERDICT:







7. SUN BEAM HIGHLIGHTER: It is a golden bronze complexion highlighter as it says in the package. I also got this as a giveaway when I bought a lot products from Benefit Sephora. I’ll go straight to the point, for oily skin like mine and for a fair complexion, I don’t think the Sun Beam Highlighter is good for us. It might work well for girls with warm skin-tone as it will really highlight the top of your cheeks but for fair-skinned ladies, it won’t work for you. Might as well try the high beam.. though for me, the best highlighter I’ve tried is still Body Shop.

MITCHIKO’S VERDICT:







8.  STAY DON’T STRAY Eyeshadow Primer: It claims to be a stay-put primer for concealers and eyeshadows but sorry that it didn’t work for me. My Naked 2 Palette smudged after using stay don’t stray. It follows the lines of my eyes and the colors stick on the corners of my eyes. It didn’t keep the color nicely and it didn’t make it stay. =( I eliminate this primer from my list and bought the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer (which I will review later on) but I can already say that the switch was so worth it.

MITCHIKO’S VERDICT:  





'Till the next post ladies! :)

No comments: