Saturday, January 17, 2009

Belated Happy 69th Birthday ex-Gov. Leviste


It really broke my heart when I saw the news that he celebrated his 69th birthday in Makati City Jail. Just thinking about Papa.. imagining his face inside a cell's really killing me. I believe that justice needs to be served and I would also want to believe that after 2 years of scrutiny the result was already authenticated. Some reasons why I find this case so desolating and down-hearted:


  • That they were good friends and that their families were, too.

  • Leviste was a good guy until the homicide happened.

  • He's too old to be imprisoned.

  • I believed that it was a burst of emotion and the incident was not planned.

  • That, I also believe that it was an accident.

  • That, may it be whatever, someone needs to be accountable to his actions and responses.

Delas Alas' daughter was interviewed right after Leviste was convicted. She said that they can't totally celebrate because they were also thinking about Leviste's family and that she looked up to the ex-governor as her second dad. I admired her mentality..really. For someone who lost her father in a monstrous incident and she was able to look at the outcome that way is truly admirable.


I was asking myself while watching, “If she really felt that way, then why did she still persue the case?" Then my logic dictated, “Of course, she's the daughter of her father who was shot five times; whereas one shot was more than enough to immobilize a 67-year old man.” She needs to continue the fight for his father's death situation. She needed justice to prevail for her father's name which was also defamed when the story of self-defense for 1-million mistress maintenance was brought up during the cross examination.


A spectator thiking outloud: “If it was Leviste who got killed `by delas Alas, would his kids react the same way as Dinna Sanchez (daughter of Rafael delas Alas) did? Would they allow the murder case to be homicide, too? Would the court allow the same to happen?”


I was really affected. I have a soft spot for old people. Though, I would all the more hate the justice system in the Philippines if it wasn't given to the delas Alas family. I also feel for the Leviste family. His kids were really so much affected, I know. Just imagine, even how straight you've wanted to become: Seeing your 69-year old father, to whom you really looked up so much..spending the rest of his remaining years in the prison instead of enjoying the goodness of gracious retirement and righteous life.. Can you still say that justice be given to worthy? Can you still say that if your father really killed someone, he be placed in jail? Can you still say that he deserved to be there?


I'll just pray that ex-governor Leviste be pardoned by the highest court where he'll soon be at. I pray that he gets comfort and that he may still feel that God loves him regardless of what happened and what he has done. I pray that delas Alas family may find forgiveness in their hearts. I pray that we all be open-minded about situations like this. 

2 comments:

Admin said...

Happy Birthday to Birthday ex-Gov. Leviste!!!

I don't know him so much.... I don't know the real story... I'll just hope that truth will still prevail...

lifeandrunway said...

@lionheart: yeah.. i just hope that truth shall prevail.. siguro the best way that Mr. Leviste can do is to take full accountability. In this way, he can be more vindicated.