Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Tips in Travelling to Vancouver, Canada on December (7-day Itinerary)

If you are fond of cold weather, Canada is one of the best places where you can have what you’re looking for. The temperature during my 7-day stay was ranging from 6 to 12 degrees Celsius. We travelled in Canada from Dec. 5- Dec 13 and we did have the entire 7-days packed with trips but with great relaxation. Sometimes, you go in a vacation and you’d want to have time to visit all the great places but you've sacrificed your time to sleep and relax. Well, our trip wasn't like that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gags9999/20310516722

To achieve that, let me share with you what my Itinerary was:

FLIGHT ITINERARY

Carrier: China Southern Airlines

Going to Canada
08:00am-12nn: Changi SG- Guangzhou (4-hour flight)
12nn-2pm: Stop over to Guangzhou- This is really enough time for completing Immigration without getting so bored waiting for your next flight.
2pm- 9:40am- Guangzhou to Vancouver Terminal M (17-hour flight)
COMMENT: Over-all Experience was great. The only thing that we didn’t like was that you have to go down the plane and run towards the bus to bring you to the Terminal. It was a hassle especially when it rained and everyone was queuing down without a shelter. It was also cold in Guangzhou in December so-

TIP: Bring an umbrella inside your hand-carry luggage and prepare your coat as you go down. Preferably, the water resistant coat you plan to use for snow.



WHY WE CHOSE THIS FLIGHT: It was affordable, food was great and the seats are not too packed. For long haul flights, you would appreciate stop over really! So the 2-hour stop is not bad after all since it allowed us to walk and exercise. :) 

TRAVEL ITINERARY
Day 1: Vancouver- Seattle USA (2 hours of drive from my Aunt’s House)
Day 2: Seattle USA (Seattle Premium Outlet, First Starbucks, Cheesecake Factory, US Shopping for make-up and Rubber shoes- YAY!)
Day 3: Vancouver- Victoria (We decided to go to Victoria since my closest Aunt and cousins stay there. But my suggestion is for you to explore Vancouver on Day 3 and go and visit the parks)
Day 4: Victoria
Day 5: Victoria
Day 6: Whistler, Canada
Day 7: Tantalus Lookout, FlyOver Canada,

Here come the TIPS NOW

1.  MORNING ARRIVAL: Suggest that you choose a flight where you arrive in the morning so you still have a full-day to spend in tour.

2.  STAY WITH RELATIVES: If you have relatives in Vancouver, suggest that you take advantage of their offer for them to house you since the money you’d spend in hotels can be used in shopping. Besides, you’d be barely there to trouble them. Most of the time, you are away for tours so go grab the opportunity to bond with them without causing them much of  a hassle.

3.   BUY A THERMAL GEAR: Bring super warm clothes and go do yourselves a favour- buy the Thermal Shirt and Pants and socks, about 2-3 pairs (if you also plan to travel more in cold countries). This is a good investment. I bought a pair in Uniqlo but realized that it is not enough. So I bought another one via Amazon and another 1 in Canada. The Canadian Thermal Gear, of course is the most effective since it was really made for the weather there.

Thermal Attire I bought in Amazon


4.  ALWAYS WEAR A NON-SLIP, WATER RESISTANT BOOTS: You’d need a slip-proof winter boots. I bought mine in Naturalizer since I don’t really want the snow boots- it doesn’t look too fashionable in my opinion. The Naturalizer boots really gave me a good coverage. I even used mine when I was walking in Whistler and the warmth it gave me really paid off.

Non-slip Boots I bought in Naturalizer and it was a great steal!


5.   SHOP FOR HERSCHEL BAG: Herschel Bag originates in Canada. So might as well take advantage of the good rates and the numerous choices.

6.   VISIT FLYOVER CANADA: Do not skip FlyOver Canada. This is really a good experience for Tourists. You’d have a great view of Canada and the effects are really phenomenal.

Found this in my hand-carry luggage and kept it as a souvenir :) 


7.   VISIT SEATTLE, USA: If you are already staying in Vancouver, go visit Seattle where you can shop at their Premium Outlets and enjoy a great Starbucks experience in the very first shop located near the Public Market. Queue is really long and it is only meant for take out, so suggest that you be early and grab their freshly brewed coffee. Don’t forget to take a selfie! (Please refer to Day 1 of my Blog)

8.   VISIT VICTORIA, BC: Do not forget to visit Victoria. It is a great place that shows you British architecture at its best. Enjoy the boat ride from Vancouver to Victoria. It will give you the Twilight chills, promise! Go have an afternoon tea in Fairmont Empress Hotel. Visit the Butchart Gardens, Fisgard Lighthouse. (Please refer to Victoria, British Columbia here in my blog for some pictures).

9.    MUST-VISIT WHISTLER: This is a MUST, I’m telling you guys. You’d regret not having to go to Whistler, I swear! Thank God that during our visit (close to the 2nd week of December), the snow was falling off and it was a magnificent view. Try to snowboard/ice ski in the Blackcomb Mountains. Go eat at Earl’s and try the sub-zero vodka in Bearfoot Bistro. It was an amazing experience, really unforgettable! (Please refer to Whisler, British Columbia below for more tips and reviews and photos).

10.  STOP BY TANTALUS LOOKOUT: On your way back to Vancouver from Whistler, you’d pass by the Tantalus Lookout so I suggest that you stop by it and enjoy the breath-taking view. (Please refer to Last Day in Canada… in my blog for some pictures).

11.  BOOK A FULL DAY OF VANCOUVER TOUR: Schedule a 1 full-day City Tour. Visit Robson Square, Stanley Park, Vancouver Lookout, FlyOver Canada,  and the Canada Place and the Olympic Cauldron. And do not forget to try the sumptuous food in Cactus Club Café for dinner.

12.  ALWAYS BRING UMBRELLA: December is a cold month and a rainy month in Vancouver. For you to explore the place more, have your water resistant coats ready, non-slip boots and your umbrella always ready. It is not a culture in Canada though to use umbrella, I didn’t mind using it (although for them I look funny, hahaha..) as I don’t want to catch a flu. For me, they even look funnier trying to run from shelter to shelter so they avoid the rain. Umbrella is a must-have regardless of location. It’s always a good protection. And with the limited time I have, I cannot wait for the rain to stop before I go on with my full itinerary. So I did carry an umbrella and I had my checklist fulfilled! Look who’s laughing now… HAHAHAHA…

No comments: