Monday, August 20, 2018

Seoul Searching in January: Day 1


Image taken from: rongviettravel.com

I had a trip in Seoul, South Korea with my girlfriends last January 2017 and this experience is something that I’d like to share with you. I have searched for blogs which will specifically tell me how it’s like in Seoul in January and for some reasons, I never found one. L Hence, I decided to share my experience with you.
My girlfriends and I decided to have a quick reunion to catch up and the chosen city was Seoul. It was a 3-days, 2 nights trip and the intention is really to catch up and bond as we missed one another. One of my best friends is also a famous legit seller of branded goods in Instagram (please follow her- IG: look_for_less) and she highly recommended Seoul so we can shop and just have some fun-girl time. Two of us came from Singapore while 2 of them were from the Philippines. The flight they got was so much cheaper in the PH, aside from the fact that their flight was shorter from PH-KR. Ours was more than SGD700++ from SG-KR and it took us 6-7 hours to get there via Korean Air direct flight. The entire trip was smooth and we took advantage of the sleeping time so we can get enough rest as our departure time was at 1am.
DAY 1: Arrival in the Hotel; Seoul Afternoon Tour Including Palgakjeong, Changdeokgug and Namdaemun Market


WEATHER: EXTREMELY COLD. I believe it was -11 degrees when we arrived.
We took a cab from the airport to the Hotel, which is a wrong-move. L The cab driver was limited by language and by physical condition; hence, we had a hard time to communicate and he cannot assist us with our luggage. This is understandable though when we saw his condition. But I was informed that it’s better to take the bus coach from Airport to Myeongdeong as this is cheaper and more comfortable. My friends from the PH tried this and this is the most convenient way to travel from the airport to the City.
HOTEL: CROWN PARK HOTEL MYEONGDONG SEOUL

The Crown Park’s location is perfect for people who loves to shop. It is in the centre of the shopping area, Myeongdong and you can find basically everything you’d need in this area. The room we got though was small for 2 people but it was decent and really affordable. For 2 nights, each of us only paid an amount close to SGD150++. We booked 2 rooms with 2 guests each in a Standard Twin room. Two single beds per room. For the price we paid, we’ll say this hotel is totally worth it. Everyone was friendly and helpful. So given a chance, I will perhaps choose a different room type so I can get a bigger space.
We arrived early morning and our rooms were not prepared yet. We decided to freshen up in the toilet and prepare for our afternoon tour, instead while we had our luggage deposited with the hotel’s concierge. 

TOUR: SEOUL AFTERNOON TOUR 
I booked the tour via Viator. I trust the site due to the reviews and it never disappoint. The small group tour ended up to be a private tour where my friend and I were the only guests. It was SUPER COLD outside. I brought all that I used in Canada and had 3 layers of clothes and those weren’t enough to withstand the weather. All the down coats and knitted jackets, plus the thick knitted gloves and ear muffs were insufficient. So I decided to buy the face mask in Seoul and it’s not bad at all. It somehow relieved the discomfort brought by the super cold weather.  
Below are some photos of our tour. 
Our super friendly tour guide who takes care of us the entire afternoon. 

Palgakjeong, an octagon pavillion on the mountaintop of Bugaksan. There was a little bit of snow in there and it was really cold. 

Changdeokgung Palace and Bukchon Hanok Villagee are UNESCO- designated pleaces. 



Namdaemun Market, my first encounter with Seoul street-food and I will highly recommend for you not to miss that experience

We headed back to the hotel after the afternoon tour to check-in and to rest as we were so exhausted. Our friends from the Philippines arrived at around 8:30m-9:00pm. Then, we decided to head out for dinner. We tried the Korean barbecue and it was amazing! 
And they arrived to Seoul alread. Korean Barbecue on our 1st night

The titas of Manila, enjoying the bar strip in Seoul 

No comments: